Who We Are - Why We Exist
Aligning with our camp name, our vision is to bring every camper to the realization that they’d “rather have Jesus than anything.”
Camp Id Ra Ha Je West is established for the purpose of winning souls to Jesus Christ through the spreading of the Gospel, the edifying (building up) of the believers through the preaching and teaching of the Word of God, and the evangelizing of campers through witnessing and missions.
Our purpose is to provide a fun and educational experience in Christian living that will be used as a tool to lead young people to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ and in-depth personal discipleship based on the ministry of God's Word, and empowered by Him, so that we might have a significant part in "presenting man complete in Christ." (Colossians 1:28). Our mission is “To Know Jesus and to Make Him Known.”
To this end, we believe that no kid should have to miss out on camp and we seek sponsors for our “Send a Kid to Camp” scholarship. Simultaneously, we’re raising up the next generation of leaders by training young adults in mentorship, leadership, and counseling.
Our Values - What Holds Us Together
- Strength of Mind: We incite thoughtful conversations about the real issues of life. We encourage everyone to question both their own beliefs and the beliefs of others with logic and love. We build one another up to high ideals by evaluating results.
- Strength of Body: We encourage the “wilderness experience,” limiting technology usage as much as possible. We serve healthy meals with thoughtfulness, and engage in regular physical activities. We pay close attention to the nature surrounding us, and we responsibly care for our environment.
- Strength of Spirit: We focus communally and frequently on the praise and worship of God. We acknowledge the unique life path and choices of every individual, while unashamedly teaching according to the Bible and living in a way that honors Christ.
- Strength of Character: We promote purity in our speech, our behavior, our thoughts, and our hearts. When we disagree, we do so with respect, patience, and compassion. We delight in our friendships and deepen them by living according to The Golden Rule: to love others the way we want to be loved.
- Strength of Community: We reinforce our relationships at every opportunity, joining together for the Four F’s: Fun, Food, Friends, and Fellowship. We design our days around the belief that being united together is the best way to be.
Our Beliefs - How We Live
- Purpose: We believe that humanity's purpose is to glorify God. To accomplish this, we aspire to have everything we do bring glory to God (I Cor. 10:31).
- Scripture: We believe that the Bible is God's Word and its message is needed by and relevant to all mankind. We believe the Bible is the foundation for all truth, for our lives, and for ministry. To accomplish this we will utilize the Bible to equip Christians with the wisdom and knowledge needed to know God and carry out His ministry on earth (2 Timothy 3:16, 17).
- Evangelism: We believe that it is God's desire and commandment that we share the Gospel with others. To accomplish this we will present the gospel, so that people may hear and respond to the invitation of Christ for salvation (I Corinthians 15:3-4).
- Discipleship: We believe becoming Christ-like is a process of discipleship that takes one's entire life and will be completed only when one reaches heaven. To accomplish this we will assist others as they progress towards maturity in Christ (2 Peter 3:18).
- Serving: We believe that Christ came to earth to serve humanity and that it is our responsibility to do the same. To accomplish this we will demonstrate love in active and tangible ways (Philippians 2:3-5).
- Church: We believe the Bible sets forth the Church (the body of Christ) as the main organizational element of Christianity. To accomplish this, we will exist as a tool to help and support the Church (Colossians 1:24-25).
- Nature & Creation: We believe humanity needs to understand God's revelation of Himself in His creation. To accomplish this we will utilize creation as a context for ministry (Romans 1:20).
Our History – Where We Came From
Camp Id Ra Ha Je West has a great history in Western Colorado area, and has been impacting many lives for Jesus Christ since 1973. Our name comes from the song entitled, "I'd Rather Have Jesus". If you take the first two letters from each word of the title, you get Id-Ra-Ha-Je!
Camp Id Ra Ha Je West was founded by "Uncle Paul" and "Aunt Mary” Eiselstein in 1973, after they moved to the Western Slope from their home in Baily, CO (the original Camp Id Ra Ha Je). Uncle Paul established Camp Id Ra Ha Je West as an independent children’s camp with the same basic vision: to see campers draw close to Christ. His dedication to the Lord and passion for seeing kids know Jesus Christ established the ministry of Camp Id Ra Ha Je West. Throughout the years, the faces, facilities, and programs have changed, but the mission of seeing people come to know Jesus Christ has remained the same.
Over the years, Camp Id Ra Ha Je West has been able to expand their ministry by building new cabins, a 100-seat chapel, a recreation room, a water-slide, a commercial kitchen, and many landscaping improvements. These facilities are resources used for our various programs throughout the year to get people away in God's amazing creation, be renewed in the Word, and reconnect with our Lord.